Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Prop 8

You are going to get sick of Prop 8 blog posts. They are going to make you want to run far, far away from the Internet. I mean, c'mon, teh gayz marrying? Pff! What's next, gay divorce? That will threaten the divorce of every other American!

Or maybe marriage is absolutely nobody's business. What is marriage? Why do we cling to the tenets of it so much? Is it not a more logical solution to ban marriage entirely as a public institution?

If everyone were recognized by the state in some form of civil union, would that take away the precedence on marriage? Should we leave marriage up to the churches - and let them sort out whether a man can love another man or a woman can love another woman? It'll take the pressure off society.

Frankly, so long as we have a civil institution of marriage, I am 100% unequivocally in support of gay marriage. I think it's a dangerous precedent for the state to decide who we can and can't love, and I think that it does, in some ways, resemble anti-miscegenation laws. There's no slippery slope of people marrying a turtle or Ben Schwartz. Instead, we're stuck with neighbors and friends being vilified because they dared to love someone.

I'm not going to go on too long, but I will leave you with a couple things:

A satirical column I did on banning marriage

My friends staging a protest in Lincoln, NE

1 comment:

Tim Mayer said...

I had a little bit of trouble finding you in the picture, John. Guess that mob obscured your face. Oh, wait. You weren't there. Never mind.
Just for the record, I'm in favor of any civil union between any group of adults. I would limit the number of people to 12 for practical limits, but I can see there might be some cases where more would work, too.
Unfortunately, the fascists in Washington will never allow any polygamous union in this country.