Monday, April 25, 2005

Someday, we will all be digital

It's no lie - there will be a day when our entire lives will be digitized, and each bit of ourselves will be broadcast for the world to see. With the increase in communication forms - from the advent of blogging to the proliferration of sites like myspace.com and thefacebook.com, there is a new facet of our personalities hitting the world. Where actual, social confrontation becomes a much feared thing (and trust me on this one, I've got a few social anxiety problems), there is an increase in the actual online personalities, and how they flesh out as opposed to the real person. With the pictures with profiles, though, it becomes increasingly to create an image of yourself. Why, on the opening page of my website (johnwenz.com if you were paying attention here) there is the image of me in zombie make-up and an army helmet, then lyrics from a Public Enemy song. And, of course, there are the flashing Chuck D.s too. So the thought may cross some minds of "that guy is a little...off." And while this may be in more than a few ways true, let's make a statement of a few facts you wouldn't guess from the banner.

1. I do not actually live in a terrordome.
2. My website is not actually that terrifying for a terrordome.
3. I don't even think it really meets ANY of the qualifications of a terrordome, whatever they may be.
4. I do not actually even know what a terrordome is - outside of a great Public Enemy song.
5. I do assume that a terrordome is either a metaphor for the world, or some kind of post-Apocalyptic, Mad Max style dome.
6. I assume that if it is the latter, this dome would be terrifying in nature.
7. I am not a zombie.
8. I am not a member of the army.
9. I am not a member of a zombie army.
10. I am not a member of the army who came back from the dead to get revenge.
11. I cannot, in fact, breathe fire.
12. There are not, in fact, five of me.

Now, these revelations may come as a shock to you. In fact, I may have just shattered your view of the Terrordome we call Earth. But that's just the point - we have begun to construct ourselves as memes, as an image that replicates itself in the minds of everybody that looks at a website. From there, it is either sent on or ignored, but not necessarily forgotten. There is an image ready to proliferate under the proper conditions.

No comments: